Checklist For Patients Prescribed With Codeine
The human body is complex and its reaction to artificially manufactured drug, vary from person to person. Not every medicinal drug is suitable and adaptable by the body. When your doctor prescribes you to take codeine, make sure that he/she is well aware of your body type and condition.
It is not at all recommended that you hide any fact about your medical condition, history and other treatments or drug that you are consuming at the time. It will do you more harm than good. Also, if you are visiting a new or unknown medical practitioner for treatment and if he/she is unaware of your medical history, then for your own good and quick recovery you must provide him/her with the exact details of the below mentioned points or any other questions raised by him/her about your past experience with drug of any kind.
Even if it is the use of recreational drug during your time in college do not fear from presenting the facts to the doctor as he/she is under the legal boundaries of confidentiality and cannot disclose the same under any circumstance. Even if he/she tries to break your trust, his/her views and thoughts won’t stand up in the court of law even if he/she is the key witness in a lawsuit against you. So, you can entrust him/her with your history of drug use of any nature without the fear of being judged or the loss of your confidential private information. The points that you must make your doctor aware of if he prescribes you with codeine, include:
- Your medical state, if you are expecting a baby or you have conceived recently and are aware that it might lead to pregnancy.
- In case you have a medical condition with reference to the smooth functioning of your kidney or your liver. Even if you have been diagnosed in the past with any abnormality regarding the same organs, then make your doctor aware of the same before consuming the pain remedy prescribed by him/her.
- If it burns when you urinate or you have a prostate problem, then alert your general practitioner about the same as well.
- Also, if you have problems with your lungs, like Asthma or COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or if you are a chain smoker, then too you need to inform the doctor about the same.
- If you have been diagnosed with fluctuating or abnormal blood pressure or heart rhythm rate, then your doctor will alter the medical treatment to suit your condition.
- Any patient that suffers from thyroid or problems associated with adrenal gland is not advised to take the medication without consulting the doctor as the dose intake for such people is altered according to their medical condition.
- Or if you have any of the below mentioned problems like epilepsy, gallstones, inflammatory bowel or myasthenia gravis then the call for consuming codeine for pain relief should be your doctor’s not yours.
While your treatment continues and you take codeine for pain relief, it is advisable that you must avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, or combining the prescribed codeine dose with any other medicine. As you cannot rule out the possibility of a chemical reaction between the ingredients present in the doses.