Meningioma: Causes And Their Treatments
There are so many diseases or disorders from which the patients suffer from. Meningioma is one of them which can change your life all of sudden. Meningioma is a tumor that occurs in the meninges, the membrane encloses and protect the brain and spinal cord. About 96% of meningiomas are developed within the skull while 4% of meningiomas are developed in the spinal column. Some are of them are benign or non-cancerous, some are malignant and remaining are the atypical tumors which neither malignant nor be benign.
In such a large and diverse country with a huge population such disorders or diseases occur quite frequently. But it also plays a major role in providing the best health services facilities to patients. The best economical cost of it attracts the people to get the better meningioma treatment in India. Let us see some causes and the treatments in India that affects the patients for maintaining good health.
The specific cause of meningioma is not clear. According to doctors, there is something that alters the cells in meninges which develop a barrier throughout the brain and spinal cord. Here the cells multiply to develop a tumor. It may occur because of the exposure to radiation, genetic factor (Neurofibromatosis-type 2) and also hormones (progesterone).
Meningioma can be detected by performing following imaging tests:
– Computerized tomography (CT) scan: It helps to evaluate the cross-sectional pictures of brain and head by using X-rays. Seldom the iodine-based dye is also used to augment the image.
– Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Test: The cross-sectional image of brain and head is taken with the help of radio and magnetic waves.
Treatment And Drugs
In early stages of meningioma doesn’t show any symptoms and signs of it so it needs no treatment. If the symptoms or signs are captured in the images during scanning then following treatments are carried out such as:
- Surgery: When the symptoms and signs of this are recognized the doctors recommend surgery as a treatment option. In this, the growing tumor is completely removed as much as possible. In endovascular neurosurgery, the blood supplies are cut before the surgery which provides the nutrients to the tumor cells. A surgery depends on various factors including the visibility of the, whether it is benign or not or atypical.
- Radiation Therapy: If your tumor can’t be removed completely through surgery or if the patient is unfit for surgery then the doctors recommend for radiation therapy. The main motto of radiation therapy is to destroy the tumor cells by providing the high-powered energy beam. The intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) is also used to stop the growth of tumor cells.
- Radiosurgery: It does not require incisions. It is specially done on outpatients. In this, most of the powerful beams of radiation are focused on the precise point.
- Fractionated radiation: This treatment option is for large meningioma which is insensitive to high intensity light.
Chemotherapic drugs are also used by patients who don’t respond to the above treatments like surgery and radiation.